Ukraine is a big country, here are list of biggest cities in Ukraine
Situated on the Dnipro River, Kiev (also Kyiv) is the capital city of Ukraine. After a rough and turbulent history, the town has become an interesting array of old and new buildings. Theculture culture is influenced by the characteristics of both Western and European customs, yet the Ukrainians who live here still cling proudly to tradition.
The modern city of Kiev is home to roughly three million people. Some of these people are foreign diplomats while others are students from other parts of the world.
There is really so much to see and do in Kiev, you will be kept busy for days. Known as the ‘Green City’ for its numerous botanical gardens, parks and beautiful trees, the city is a wonder to behold in summer and spring. The nearby river provides hours of leisure activity in the form of swimming and boat rides, while many people enjoy leisurely strolls and cycling trails along its banks. In the winter the lake freezes over to make way to ice fishermen and ice-skaters. Thera are many theatres and opera houses which provide indoor entertainment, and craft markets selling an abundance of traditional Ukrainian goods can be found in various city squares. There are art galleries, beautiful old buildings and even catacombs. Kiev is a charming and majestic city that should not be missed.
Kropyvnytskyi (former Kirovohrad) is a city located in the center of Ukraine, the administrative center of the Kirovograd region, an industrial and cultural center.
The population of Kropyvnytskyi is about 232,000, the area – 103 sq. km.
In the 16th – the first half of the 18th centuries, the Cossacks of the Zaporozhye Sich lived on the territory of the present Kropyvnytskyi. In 1754, the fortress of St. Elizabeth was founded by the decree of the Russian Empress Elizaveta Petrovna – to protect the newly founded Serb colonies from the raids of the Crimean Tatars. In 1754, the garrison of the fortress located on the right bank of the Ingul River was about 3,000 people.
At the same time, a settlement located on the opposite bank of the Ingul began to develop actively. It was named Elisavet after the name of the fortress. In 1764, the fortress became the center of the Elisavet province.
Since the day of foundation, the town was developing in parallel with the construction and development of the fortress because of its favorable geographical location – at the intersection of important roads from the Black Sea coast deep into the Russian Empire. Before foundation of Odessa, Kherson, and Mykolaiv, it was the only relatively large settlement in the south of Ukraine.
More historical facts….
During the Russian-Turkish War of 1768-1774, the fortress played a prominent role in the struggle of the Russian Empire for access to the Black Sea being a reserve base of Russian troops. In 1775, the weapons and military contingent were almost completely transferred to Kherson. In the same year, in connection with the provincial reform, the fortress and its surrounding settlements received the status of a town under the name of Elisavetgrad.
In 1782, the town’s population was 4,720 people. In 1784, after the annexation of the Crimean Khanate to the Russian Empire, the fortress of Elisavetgrad lost its military-strategic importance and was abolished. Further development of the town was based on rapid development of the agrarian and trade spheres.
Elisavetgrad was actively rebuilt and, in 1882, became the “cradle of Ukrainian drama” – the first Ukrainian professional theater was opened in the town with such outstanding Ukrainian cultural figures as Marko Kropyvnytskyi, Ivan Karpenko-Kary, Maria Zankovetska, Nikolai Sadovsky, etc. In 1897, the population of Elisavetgrad was about 61.5 thousand people (Jews – 38%, Russians – 35%, Ukrainians – 24%).
In 1923, the town became a district center of the Ukrainian SSR. In 1924, it received a new name – Zinovievsk, in 1934 – Kirovo (in honor of S.M. Kirov, the party and state leader of the USSR murdered on December 1, 1934), in 1939 – Kirovograd and became the center of the Kirovograd region.
In August 1941, during the Second World War, the city was occupied by the Germans. Almost all the Jewish population was destroyed. In January 1944, the city was liberated by the Red Army. In 1951, the Kirovograd Military Aviation School for long-range aviation pilots was established. In the 1960s, it was renamed into the Higher Aviation School of Air Force Pilots. In 1959, the Kirovograd Musical College was established.
In the 2000s, a program of city development was implemented in Kirovohrad, roads were repaired, museums and the territory of the former fortress of St. Elizabeth were reconstructed. The economic and commercial sector of the city began to develop again.
In 2016, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (the Ukrainian Parliament) decided to rename Kirovohrad to Kropyvnytskyi – in honor of the prominent Ukrainian theatrical figure Marko Kropyvnytskyi (1840-1910).
The city hospital in Kropyvnytskiy was opened in 1823 – it had 54 beds.
Currently, 17 health facilities and preventive health care institutions carry out health care in Kropyvnitsky. Including:
Through the city there are highways of European significance: Uzhgorod – Ternopil – Kropyvnytskiy – Donetsk – Dovzhanske (E50), Poltava – Kropyvnytskiy – Chisinau – Galats – Sloboda (E584); regional highways: Kropyvnytskiy – Nikolaev, Kropyvnytskiy – Oleksandrivka; Kotovsk railway – Pomichna – Znamenka.
There are 2 bus stations and a railway station in the city, there is a Kirovograd airport (2 runways, one of which are valid), which corresponds to the 3rd category of ICAO, is a state-owned enterprise Ukraine Airlines, URGA airline, working on international airlines. Urga is a member of the European Association of Regional Airlines (ERA).
Trolleybuses, buses and shuttles now represent urban public transport.
Significant role in the city plays trolleybus. Trolleybus movement in Kropyvnytskiy was opened on November 2, 1967. After experiencing a crisis in the early 2000s, the industry was reanimated in the middle of the decade. As of November 2013, there are 3 trolleybus routes in the city (Nos. 1, 9, 10).
Political and social life
In the city (as of the beginning of 2008) there are 298 non-governmental organizations, of which 11 are female, 11 are veterans and 49 are youth.
Kropyvnytskiy’s youth life is being activated through a number of civic organizations uniting their membership for conducting the diverse interests. The youth wing of the People’s Movement of Ukraine – Young People’s Movement and the party “Batkivshchyna” – the regional organization of the All-Ukrainian Union of Youth “Batkivshchyna Moloda” can be considered the most effective youth organizations.
Kropyvnytskyi is located on the Dnieper Upland, in the valley and on the banks of the Ingul River (the tributary of the Southern Buh River), in the steppe zone.
The climate is moderately continental with mild winters and warm (sometimes hot) summers. The average temperature in January is minus 5.6 degrees Celsius, in June – plus 20.2 degrees Celsius.
The basis of local industry is agricultural engineering, food and mining industries.
Kropyvnytskyi has the reputation of one of the centers of Ukrainian folk choreography. It was created by such famous local dance groups as the Academic Theater of Music, Song and Dance “Zoryane”, the Honored Folk Dance Ensemble of Ukraine “Yatran”, the song and dance ensemble “Vesna”, the folk ballroom ensemble “Convalia”, and others.
A number of old buildings, constructed mainly in the second half of the 19th century, have been preserved, including religious buildings, remains of Russian fortifications, Jewish quarters, etc.
The City Day of Kropyvnytskyi is celebrated on the third Saturday of September.
Hotel “Reikartz Kropyvnytskyi”. This business-hotel of the Belgium hotel group Reikartz Hotels Resorts is located about 15 minutes walk from the city center, it is not easy to find it as it is situated in the backyard. Air conditioning, free Wi-Fi and parking, fitness center, bar, restaurant, shuttle service, pets are allowed on request. V. Chornovila Street, 1D. Phone: +380 522 30 50 90.
Odessa is the largest city along the entire Black Sea, the 5th largest city in Ukraine and arguably the most important city of trade. Many years ago, Odessa was once the 3rd leading city in old Russia, after Moscow and St. Petersburg. Odessa looks more like a city located on the Mediterranean, having been heavily influenced by French and Italian styles. Odessa has always had a spirit of freedom, probably gifted to her by her location and by her ability to accept many different people. The city has a wide variety of people including Ukrainian, Russian, Moldavian, Greek, Romanian, Bulgarian, Caucasian, Jewish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
Odessa is one of the major ports and an important centre of industry, science and culture. Her mild climate, warm waters and sunlit beaches attract thousands of tourists year around. Its shady streets, gorgeous buildings and pleasant squares give the city a certain manner of closeness and understanding. Odessa is simply charming with its stunning architecture. Some buildings display a marvelous mixture of different styles, and some are built in the Art Nouveau Style which was in vogue at the turn of the century. Renaissance and Classicist styles are also widely present.
Today Odessa has a total population of about 1.1 million people. The city’s trades include that of shipbuilding, chemicals, oil refining, food processing and metalworking. Odessa also has a naval base and several fishing fleets, which adds to the cities economy.
City Founded in 1345
The city is located in Central Ukraine, with direct train and bus connections to Kyiv, L’viv, Odessa, Moscow, Bratislava and other major Eastern European cities.
Vinnytsa is a bi-lingual city, with most residents speaking both Ukrainian and Russian. Due to the Vinnytsa Pedagological University, as well as a good local school system, many young people also speak English, German and/or French.
Famous residents of the area include:
Vinnytsa has sister city relationships with Birmingham, Alabama (USA), Kielce (Poland), Peterborough (England), Rîbniţa (Moldova).
The Southern Bugh River flows through the center of Vinnytsa.
Vinnytsa is home base for the Ukrainian Air Force.
Agriculture is a major industry in the Vinnytsa oblast of Ukraine. This is due to the area’s famous ‘black soil’. In addition to industrial production of sugar beets, wheat, corn and tomatoes, local residents produce an enormous variety of fruits and vegetables that are available in the city markets.
The second largest city in the Ukraine, Karkiv (also known as Kharkov) is situated in the northeast of the country and serves as one of the main industrial, cultural and educational centers in the country. The country’s industry and research has been focused on arms production and machinery for many years. Today the city is home to such mega-companies as the Morozov Design Bureau, the Malyshev Tank Factory, Hartron and Turboatom. These companies specialize in fields such as tank and turbine production, and aerospace and nuclear electronic research.
Today Kharkiv has many attractions for tourists. Kharkov’s Freedom Square is the largest city square in Europe and is second in the world only to the Tiananmen Square. It is a great place to start your sightseeing. After that you may wish to visit the Gosprom, the Mirror Stream, the Militia Museum, the Memorial Complex, the Shevchenko Monument and the Shevchenko Gardens. The Uspensky Cathedral and the Pokriv Cathedral are quite dramatic and look great in photographs. If you manage to fit that all into your trip, the Cable Road is another interesting place to stop. Make Kharkiv one of your stops while visiting the Ukraine and take the opportunity to learn more about the country’s turbulent history.
It is believed that Chernihiv, the capital of the Chernihiv Oblast, first existed in the ninth century according to archaeological evidence excavated in the area, which included unearthed settlements and artifacts from the immensely powerful state, Khazar Khaganate. However, the first formal mention of Chernihiv came in the 907 Rus’-Byzantine Treaty. By the end of the 10th century, Chernihiv was believed to be under its own rulership from the findings made in the 19th century of one of the earliest royal mounds to be excavated in Eastern Europe, referred to as the ‘black grave’.
Chernihiv was greatly respected as the second in power and general wealth accumulated in the whole of the southern area of Kievan Rus. During the 11th century it became the seat of the great ‘Grand Principality of Chernigov’, considered the largest in Kievan Rus due to its influence and support by those in the Severian towns all the way to Murom, Tmutarakan and Ryazan, some of the remotest regions. Population numbers in the city soared, reaching 25 000 by 1239, but in that same year it was crushed under the power of Batu Khan. In turn a variety of powers dominated the region. Sadly Chernihiv was razed on two occasions in 1482 and 1497.
By 1623 Chernihiv was granted Magdeburg rights, allowing it to govern itself, and by 1635 it became the seat of the Czernihow Voivodship. Once again Chernihiv grew in power during the seventeenth century whilst the Khmelnytsky uprising was taking place. During 1667 the members of the ‘Treaty of Andrusovo’ became the main controllers of the area before surrendering it to Muscovite Russia. Chernigov still remained the self-governing centre of ‘Cossack Hetmanate’ until it was abolished, reducing it to a common administrative center belonging to the Russian Empire. However, it did become the capital of the local administrative units.
It must be noted that through most of the trying periods of Chernihiv’s history, it still managed to keep its ecclesiastical importance, being the seat of the archbishopric. To this day, standing on the outskirts of the city are the ancient caves of the Eletsky monasteries, the original residence of the bishop. Its astounding 6 pillar cathedrals were constructed between the periods ranging from the 11th to the 12th century, with traces of some of the most historical murals still seen today.
The city was founded in 1283 and was known as a town of the “Halytsia-Volyn” Principality. The town was named this because of its position on the plane surface. It became a Polish town, after the Liublin Union of 1569. It was united with Russia in 1793 as part of the Left-Bank Ukraine. Then the town was under Polish rule from 1920 until 1939. The town was then united with Ukraine as part of the Western Ukraine and as the capital of the Rovno Region.
Rivne is one of Ukraine’s biggest industrial, cultural and educational centers. Its leading industries include machine engineering, large-panel construction and furniture-making. This city is home to three Institutes, theatres, the Philharmonic Society and the Museum of the Regional Studies, which includes the museum-reserve “The Cossack Graves”. “The Cossack Graves” are situated on the island of Zhuravlykha (Crane) in the riverhead of the Styr River. This museum was built in 1966 in honour of the Cossacks who fell in action in the battle of Berestechko during the Liberation War of the Ukrainian people in 1648 to 1653. It includes the Temple-monument and the wooden church which was built in 1650.
The Rivne Region includes 15 districts, 10 towns, 18 settlements and over a 1000 villages. It also has some very interesting and historical architecture which includes the Assumption church with the bell tower located in the city of Rivne.